Old Man River's front door
Stephen R. Heck. My roommate and I affectionately call him Old Man River, and he’s been my neighbor for over a year. I’ve finally been able to overcome my mild fear of him. He’s a gangly man, about the age of 70. Seemingly very disturbed and unable to coherently express his thoughts, he spends his time wandering the streets of South Beach. What is so intriguing about Stephen Heck? For 37 years, he’s made his home Miami and has maintained a comfortable lifestyle for himself. But, it’s not without numerous late night rants about rocket science, the Vietnam War, or killer rats. His existence is a nuisance to others around him, and yet no one has tried to rid their lives of his angry outbursts. What makes Miami residents so tolerant? Or, is it something about Mr. Heck that they can’t rid themselves of? I went to the source to find out for myself.
Me: Mr. Heck, you’ve lived here for almost four decades, and now you own this complex. What is it about Miami that has kept you here?
Stephen Heck: It’s safe. There’s no one here that meddles in my business. They might be coming soon, but for now, it’s a safe place. I like the people here because they allow me to stay here without bothering me. I can do what I need to do. I can do what I need to do and not be bothered. But you can never let you’re guard down
Me: Are you expecting someone or something to come around at some point?
SH: I am always expecting. Always be prepared, ready. Ready for anything.
Me: I know you write a lot, but I can’t help noticing that much of what you write has a rather undecipherable quality. What is the purpose behind these writings, and who is your intend audience?
SH: I write what I know. I write what I hear. You need to keep a record of these things, so you don’t forget them. Know it all. Know it all. I save every piece so it’s always there if I need to recall. Milk prices went up, but I get a discount. 7.58%. Keep your files straight, and you won’t miss anything. I save on milk because of it.
Me: Well, it’s always good to save, especially nowadays. Along with your writings, you have a great deal of amazing sketches. Where did you learn to draw so well, and what do you pull from as your inspiration?
SH: I write what I know. I write what I hear. But I draw things too. There’s a lot out there that deserves to have its own portrait. That car above the doorway [in Dewey’s] is one that I stopped in the middle of the road to admire. The sun hit it in the most rousing way. I found a small stone once that had a picture of a werewolf on it.
Me: I was hesitant to ask this next one, but you’ve been heard late at night, speaking loudly about strange things. Who are you addressing during these bouts of anger? And what compels you to do so at such an odd hour?
SH: I don’t know…I don’t know. When I’m the only one speaking, they have to listen to me. They have to hear what I am saying. It’s always nighttime when they pay the closest attention. They need to be the most aware at that time.
Me: Who is ‘they?’
SH: They. They is all those out there lurking. They need to hear my harsh words sometimes. I’m keeping the area clear, very clear. I sense they are nearing, and that’s when I need to let them know that it’s not their territory. Have to keep it clear. Keep it very clear.
Me: Well, I think you’ve done a good job keeping this obscure ‘they’ far away. So when you’re not writing, drawing, or protecting us from the bad guys, how do you spend your free time?
SH: I like to watch people. People are everywhere. They give you a lot of things to think about. All sorts of people everywhere. Sometimes I come here and sit and write. Good thinking spot. Good, good thinking spot. There’s…there’s a science to these people. Matter and atoms make us up. Nitrogenous gases fill the air, and nitrates and nitrides are important ions.
Me: You’ve created a world in which you are perpetually alert, taking heed to everything that happens. Does this sort of hyper vigilance relate to your involvement in the Vietnam War?
SH: Oh. Oh no. No, no. Keep them away. They weren’t allowed then, and I won’t allow it now. No. Keep them away.
Me: Well, I think I’ve gotten a great picture of your source of creativity. Between your writing and sketches, you’re able to portray your thoughts the way you want them. So, thank you for your time. I can’t wait to see what else your people watching will inspire you to come up with.
SH: (smiles)

No comments:
Post a Comment